22 June 2009

Camera Woes



I love my camera, and I love taking pictures. When Tyler and I were working like crazy; living in a shoebox apartment; and both going to school: He bought me my first SLR camera.  It was a wonderful surprise and delight. We used that camera up North multiple times and I loved the challenge of finding the right light and learning the art of photography.  We now own a digital SLR and the challenges have changed (carrying the camera with a front pack on, and holding children's hands is rather difficult).  Yet in all of this change my desire to take great pictures, and photojournal our adventures, has not waned.  Unfortunately, though I view my camera as a household necessity, it is not used often enough.  The lack of my camera usage is a sad thing for me. It has been a gradual decline, but still a decline and I mourn the loss.  I am continuously asking myself: Why is this happening? 




I have learned that the more children you have; the harder it becomes to do more than just keep them alive.  As a result, when our family goes somewhere we are so busy trying not to lose someone that we repeatedly keep leaving the beloved camera in the car. This happened last weekend and I was disappointed, to say the least, at myself.  After multiple days of rain Tyler and I decided to make the most of it and take the boys on an adventure.  So on Saturday we loaded up the old SUV (a bit of a gas hog, but I am not embarrassed: Jesus saves, not carbon footprints), and headed down to the Children's Museum in Portland. What a great time we had with the boys.  There was a lot to discover and learn about, and best of all you can do it in the rain. After a few hours playing in a tree fort, climbing a wall, milling some wood, fixing a car, and milking a cow, we headed to the Apple store. Tyler and I are big mac fans and should finally be able to replace our 9 year old mac this summer. After a nice cheap dinner we all headed home content and tired. What a great thing to do on a rainy day! If I had a car during the days I would definitely invest in a membership so that during these weeks of rain we would have somewhere to go to release the pent up energy of little boys. 

Alas, as the title states I have no pics of the museum because I left the camera in the car. I suppose making sure that we didn't leave a child behind was more important. 

No comments: