12 June 2009

Maiden Voyage 2009: One to Remember...



The ice is gone, the sun is out, and the garden is planted! I don't know why it takes us so long to get to this point every Spring, but when we finally reach it we are glad that we have persevered. Maybe we should turn Simon's Maiden Voyage into a celebration of the end of planting season, because that seems to be when it happens. Once our Spring chores are finished the first thing that crosses our mind is taking our beloved canoe out for a test paddle. Tyler and I purchased Simon before we had children and although our canoeing availability has declined our desire to get out on the water has not. This year, Elijah and Andrew were at grammy and grandpa's house so Tyler and I swooped up little Josiah and set off for a quick paddle around Androscoggin Lake. What a beautiful day it was, and the water was incredibly warm. In fact, we brought all of the boys back the next day for a good swim. 



Liberty joined us in the canoe, and Tyler and Josiah took a few minutes to fish. Unfortunately, every time they casted Libby got all excited thinking that someone had thrown something into the water for her fetch. We had to keep telling her no, and although she never stopped getting excited about the casting, she didn't jump out and tip us. I had left my dry box for the camera at home, so if she had tipped us you can just imagine how mad I would have been. I probably would be posting a dog for sale instead of sharing our adventurous day. Liberty did mange, however, to get the lure to Josiah's pole stuck in her tail. I would have thought that would teach her to stay more still in the canoe, but it didn't. How anyone could call a dog smart is beyond me. More of clueless comedians if you ask me, it was definitely good for a laugh, although it was my favorite lure. Tyler got it out when we got home so my lure is saved!



You can just see the little green lure stuck on her tail. I could not get her to keep her tail still long enough for a better pic. Sorry.

Thus, the first canoe adventure of the year has come and gone as one to remember.

No comments: