16 June 2009

Backyard Treasure



Growing up my mother loved lady slippers. As in the flower, not footwear. I don't really know why, they are rare and we had never seen more than a couple each Spring and she just loved them. Well, because of this I grew up looking for them, and now I love seeing them. When I see one I call the boys over and we all admire the beautiful little wildflower like the rare commodity that it is. This Spring were we in for a surprise...

It has become almost a daily ritual for the boys and I to take a walk to what I have been calling the fruit tree grove.  I have been designing a fort for the boys in my head lately and on the way home we decided to come back through what used to be a trail and try to find a fort spot. I walked off the trail a little in search of a small group of the perfect trees (who wants their fort right on a trail anyway?).  While meandering through the woods I came across a lady slipper. At this point I stopped and called all of the boys to me and we all stood admiring the little lady. We continued on and not 30 seconds later found another one. By this time we decided to count how many we could find and were all randomly walking carefully among the bushes to find the pink little flower. We found multiple flowers, and a lot were in little groups of two or three. When I say multiple, I mean we stopped counting at 38. Yes, 38 lady slippers. I don't think that I have seen that many in my lifetime, let alone one area. In fact, one spot right next to our yard in the woods by the hammock had 6 lady slippers. By the time we were finished this little walk I could stand in my yard, turn, and count them. Needless to say I couldn't wait to call my mother and share with her the news of our little backyard treasure.



Can you  find all 6?

1 comment:

Grace to You said...

I think I found all 6...can't wait to see them in person!