02 June 2008

The Great American Pastime




Josiah took this picture of the field view from our seat.

I love baseball! I grew up playing this great sport and honestly thought that it was the great American pastime. I mean who wouldn't enjoy playing a good game of ball or even going to watch one. Then I met Tyler... Mr. camping, fishing, hiking, but doesn't really care to throw a ball around a field and watch fat men waddle to the bases. To some extent I don't blame him. When we brought the boys to their very first Portland Sea Dogs game this last week I watched the teams warm up and I must tell you they do waddle. These young guys cannot seem to run very fast at all. Don't they know that you cannot score in this game if you cannot run? As far as games go I think we picked the most boring one to attend, not that it really matters to the boys. They enjoyed the experience, I enjoyed getting to watch a little ball, and Tyler enjoyed the fact that we left before the end of the game. In fact, we left at the top of the 8th inning and the score was currently 0-0. What a game eh?




All in all I think that it was a good time. A little embarassing to be surrounded by men going nuts over a costumed animal, but a good time nonetheless. I would love to go back to a game and watch another, but I don't know if it is financially a good American pastime. A minor league game cost us 50 bucks for tickets, parking and lunch (I didn't even eat). That is NOT family friendly. Oh well, baseball is way more fun to play, and thankfully Elijah and Josiah are very excited to play the game and not just watch the game.


No comments: