09 June 2008

Created to Work



I am absolutely amazed sometimes to see how much we are created to work. I had never really thought about it until I had children. Which doesn't really make sense considering that I grew up in one of those homes where you worked as part of the family, and you worked to get money to buy things. Allowances, "mom can I have 5 bucks", and freebies were unheard of in our home. We weren't deprived, in fact, my mother's love language is gifts so you can imagine what Christmas was like; we were just taught to work to fill the gaps that other children seemed to have filled by richer parents.  I don't feel bad about it, and in raising my own children I would rather they learn to work and enjoy it, than have everything given to them. 
  
The feeling of accomplishment that we get after having completing a task is something that I am sure God has put into us. We were created by God to do His work. I was reminded of this on Sunday in Pastor Sam's sermon. I am to be producing fruit, not just so that I can reap the benefits, but rather so that I can give them back to God.  If the Lord has given me a gift then I am to be using that gift for His glory.  My children are, in fact, not mine; they are His. I need to remember that as I work to train them to love each other and train them to work as Tyler and I do. 




In almost every chore that we do around this house we try to think about how the boys can help us. Some of these things come easy, for example, Josiah wants to help me spread out mulch, and water the plants, and even weed the garden (for now).  Others, however, are more difficult. The excitement of emptying the silverware from the dishwasher has disappeared for Elijah, but he still has to do it. Hey, I don't like mopping, but I like to have a clean floor.  Slowly these boys are learning how we are created to work; now all I have to do is teach them how it is really for God, and not for me.  It is easier for me to just wash the windows than have Josiah and Elijah help me, but it is better for them to help; so I just rewash during naptime.  I pray that the desire to work will always be in their hearts, and they will see how what they do can be put to use by the Almighty. 


"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men." 
Colossians 3:23

1 comment:

Amanda said...

That's great, Lori! You are leaving your boys with a wonderful work ethic and they will grow in their desire to do these things for Christ. I admire moms like you who take the time to teach their children, even when it takes them twice as much time and means more work for them. In the long run, it will be soo worth it! Keep up the good work for the Lord!