20 May 2008

Blueberry Fields Forever



When Tyler and I first bought this land we were astounded at the many blueberry bushes that were scattered throughout the woods. Not much has changed in the past 4 years. We have tried to control them a little, in fact, if you can see in the picture we have a nice little blueberry patch going on. When we first saw this piece of land it was largely shaded by multiple pine trees that were HUGE! Actually, you can see the stumps and they are massive. One of the first things that we did was have these cut down, and each year we have spent time cutting the saplings back. Now, 4 years later the blueberry bushes have found a home. It isn't quite as large as they would like I think because behind those trees there are a lot more bushes and even right behind our house in amongst the trees they are everywhere. Needless to say, one of the first things that our boys have learned is how to recognize a blueberry bush so that they aren't eating any berries they find outside.

What future plans do we have for these bushes?
Well, we want to extend this little patch into a field of blueberries. Slowly we will work towards this goal by cutting down the trees and allowing the bushes to take over. This is only about a 1 acre area, but I am very excited to have a hillside of blueberries. I look forward to hearing bees pollinate our crop, and I am anxious to see some fruit trees lining one side. Tyler and I have huge plans for this land, and I know that the Lord has blessed us in this pursuit. This land was a gift from God, and the fact that it is covered with blueberries is a wonderful bonus. Now if I could just find someone to help me clear my backyard and plant some grass we would be well on our way to having a sunny spot in the middle of these woods.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow! You certainly do have great plans for your land! It sounds delightful!

Grace to You said...

"Tyler and I have huge plans for this land, and I know that the Lord has blessed us in this pursuit."

This comment strikes me as a bold statement of faith - I love it!