30 June 2008

I Declare... A Strawberry Independence for All!




I love Strawberries. I know the more that you read my blog the more that you see I just love everything. Every berry on this planet is my favorite. Blueberries, strawberries, huckleberries; you name it and I love them. I wasn't much of a vegetable kid, but I made up for it in the amount of berries and fruit that I ate. Now of course, I have to eat my vegetables as a good example to my children, but I am still a fruit lover.  I would rather eat a mango than a carrot anyday. Strawberries, as I am sure you have guessed, are one of my favorites. Judging by the boys' reactions to picking this year I would say they are their favorites as well. 




Last week I took Elijah and Josiah out to pick berries. All in all I would say that it was a very successful trip; we picked a total of 8 quarts. Elijah himself picked 1; which is awesome for a four year old. Josiah probably picked just as many, but he ate every one.  We went to the farm in Litchfield, because they are so nice, and they let children in to pick, they don't mind them eating them, and they don't mind me shucking the berries right in the field. Overall, just a really great farm with really great berries.  This was Elijah's second year picking so by the time we got there he was ready to show Josiah just what to do. Of course, by the time that we left Josiah had picking down to an art and was starting to get bored.  There is nothing like watching a red faced two year old pick a strawberry; take a bite out of it; and put the rest into his container. Needless to say, I did not buy those ones, I made him finish them before we left because I was not about to buy half eaten berries. 




We only stayed an hour, but nevertheless we had plenty of time to eat our fill. I encourage you all to start your own family tradition of picking berries, if for nothing else; it is a cheap lunch. So pucker up everyone and get them before they are all gone. Remember there is nothing that reminds you of the upcoming holiday like a fresh quart of strawberries... 

Happy 4th of July!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Look at those adorable, strawberry coverd boys! Those strawberries look delicious- you're making me hungry! : )

Anonymous said...

Those boys of yours are so adorable especially when they are eating strawberries. Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and i would much rather have a mango than a carrot too.

Josie said...

these so need to go up on your wall. What a wonderful array of photos this would be. Too bad there are none with Andrew. BTW you have the cutest boys EVER!