01 April 2009

Sticky Snow, Sticky Mud, Just Plain Sticky



Ahh Spring! The onslaught of warmth and sun brings with it the never ending mud, dirt and grime.  I know a wonderful lady who apparently does not like Spring. I cannot imagine anyone not liking Spring, but I must confess that my love of Spring is shallow. I only love Spring because it is a sign of the earth warming up and Summer fast approaching. If you know me at all you know that Fall is actually my favorite season. Anyway, seasons aside, I want to share with you today something that happens in our yard most years in late February and March. This phenomena is called sticky snow which among other things leads to sticky mud.

When the warm sun starts penetrating the earth in late February all of that Winter snow that we have received starts melting. This is no grand melting pot session that you may imagine, but more of a slow gentile process that warms the edges of the snow just enough to make the snow suitable for... snowball fights, and other sticky snow ventures.





This warmth also makes the days comfortable for ventures out with snowshoes, and makes the first ever snowshoe experience pleasant. As you can see Josiah did awesome for his first big foot episode. 




Although the weather in March turns into the infamous mud season the bright sun that lingers in the sky invokes a pleasant feeling in us all and we receive pleasure in the form of watching snowmen melt, throwing snow at each other, and digging out our soon to be blooming bushes. In fact I own a t-shirt with the depiction of melting snowmen so that I can enjoy this "Spring is around the corner" feeling all year long.  And although Spring is not my favorite season, I think that all of us can find joy in the warm sun that is shone around us even if it does lead to mud. 






No comments: