20 April 2009

Sharing with the Future Generation


I recently finished a book called "the Middle Place". The content and interest in this book is not what I want to talk about today. But rather I want to share with you the meaning of this phrase. This phrase represents the place that a lady finds herself when she is simultaneously a daughter and a mother. I have found that this transition into primarily motherhood is slow, gradual, and at times breathtaking.

This transition manifests itself when I see parts of my childhood pass to my children by my parents. Every Spring growing up we would walk to the brook behind our house and search for pussy willows. My mother loves those little gray fuzzy buds and in so doing has taught me to love them as well.  We would always sing the "pussy willow" song and for days afterward there would be a vase of a dozen branches from the special willow tree in our home.  This year I arrived at my mother's house to discover that my parents and two oldest boys had done this exact thing. Only this time I was the mother receiving the delight instead of the child giving it. 




 The Pussy Willow Song...

I know a little pussy
his coat is silver gray
he lives down in the meadow
not very far away

he'll always be a pussy
he'll never be a cat
'cause he's a pussy willow
now what do you think of that?




2 comments:

Grace to You said...

Dichotomies are always interesting, eh? :)

Amanda said...

That photo of the boys is soo cute! They're such characters! You'll have to teach us the pussy willow song, you know. : )