08 May 2012

A Summer of Hiking



Two reasons for a Summer of hiking spring to mind; Both of which are valid and deserve equal treatment.
1.  Exercise.  I am not hesitant to share that I still have about 10 lbs to lose from my last pregnancy and desire to both lose it and get myself into better physical condition.


2.  As Matthias is still nursing and therefore unable to be away from me for an extended period of time.  Camping, long traveling, and other Summer adventures are not on the radar for this year.  In the spirit of simplicity, it is easier to declare this a season of hiking and have fun with it. 


Tyler and I are hoping to backpack Bigelow Mountain this fall when Matthias is old enough to be left and in preparation for that, along with the reasons stated above, we are planning at least 1 official hike a month.  It doesn't sound like a lot, but for a large family with a huge to-do list, spending one out of every four Saturdays on something joyous and not at all related to the homestead is a lot.  Not to mention that in May and June we have at least 4 Saturdays already claimed for events.  


Anyway,  starting out our Summer hikes was a pleasant early trip up North to Mount Kineo.  Tyler and I had never hiked Kineo and, to be honest, it wasn't on our radar for this year.  But the early Spring brought   a perfect time to conquer this sleeping giant. Plus, John invited us to join a small group going.  After 4 hours of driving, in which we stopped to feed the baby, get gas, pick someone up....  we arrived at our destination.  It was a fabulous hike in which Tyler and I shared carrying Matthias and others in the group helped us with Eli, Si, and Drew.  The boys did a wonderful job, the views were magnificent, and the company sublime.  I can barely contain my excitement to do another hike.  Won't you join us?  


Next up:
Little Squaw Mountain.
2 June

No comments: