04 May 2012

Ready for This?

For the past couple of years my friend Amanda and I have spent time scheming on how we could possibly get some dairy goats.  Tyler wasn't too interested, and then suddenly, he was.  But then we had a house to sell, a field to clear, a shed to build, a house to build etc... you get the idea.  


Last week while Tyler was on vacation he started building what will become our goat shed.  It is now at the point where it needs to be sheathed and roofed.  The roofing has been ordered and as soon as it stops raining I will be able to finish the sheathing.  We also have a guy lined up to come clear the field of stumps.  Not that goats mind the stumps, but we don't want the fencing to be in the way of clearing the field.  


With the plans underway and Spring upon us.  Amanda and I set out to find us some goats.  As it turns out I found 2 alpines in Augusta that, well, I bought.  We are obviously not completely ready for goats, but they seem happy in their makeshift housing and I haven't heard any complaints about not having a fenced in area yet.  Thankfully,  Amanda was smarter, and bought a goat that won't be able to come home until June.  It also happens to be the cutest little Nubian goat that I have ever seen.  



Now that the prelude is complete, I would like to introduce to you Jersey and Rachel.  Jersey is the black and white goat.  She eats like a pig and is more friendly than a puppy.  Rachel is the brown goat who not only looks like a deer, but also eats like one.  They are off to a good start as I have already had to stop them from chewing on my rose bush, strawberry plants, and grape vines.  Ahhh, the adventures to come.  


2 comments:

Grace to You said...

We can't wait to meet the newest members of the Smith family!! :D

From the Country Farm said...

FUN!!!