21 July 2010

A Future For Christian Men in the Military?


I have been raising my boys to be men.  One day they will each wake up realizing that finally: “I am a man”.   Little by little they will step out of their mother’s arms and into the company of men.  Like all mothers I am very much aware of this transition and have been reflecting on it even now when they are all still small.  As I muse of this World and this country and their futures I am not naive to the fact that I may have some military men.  I see this possibility growing each day with the decline our Christian Nation.  My boys are being raised to find honor in defending women, children, and fellow men.  They will fight with courage, either in the trenches, planes, or even in an office.  

In light of these thoughts I find myself incredibly interested in anything related to the military.  Today, I read about our current administration’s desire to repeal a piece of legislature that President Clinton worked hard to create.  I admit, I am grieved by this change.  I look at all that I am preparing my boys for as possible military men and I don’t see how I could prepare them for this change.  Alas, I do not know how to teach my son that as a Christian in the military he would be seen as a second class citizen.  Fighting for Christ would be a must, and I feel sorry for any man who assumes that my sons will not defend the Lord.  


 No mother wants her son to be placed in the position of helplessness that fighting a war can lead to.  But to start in that position before the war; is something I will never be able to prepare myself or my boys for.  I think maybe, if the government continues to fight against Christianity, my boys will need to fight this battle from a different front.  


Alas, Captain Eli, Lieutenant Josiah, Sergeant Andrew, and Private Caleb may never hold those titles in this present military, but they certainly will in the battle beyond.


"Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses."  
1 Timothy 6:12

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith." 
1 Timothy 4:7

No comments: