22 September 2008

My "Accident Prone" Son



Most people who know our family know that we are fairly laid back when it comes to seemingly dangerous adventures. We love to go exploring in the woods where we might see a wild animal; hiking up a mountain that may contain a cliff is just part of the experience; and boys that climb up ladders are normal. These same people that know these things about us also know that Josiah is my accident prone child; he is always bumping his legs, falling while running, and just getting hurt in some way.  I am not going to relay the things that seem to happen to this boy, but I will tell you that other than a bump and a bruise nothing serious seems to befall him.  



In light of that you can imagine the surprise that I had when Andrew, not Josiah, was the first of our lot to break a bone. Everyone has told me that it is the first of many, and I can easily believe that, but I honestly didn't think that it would start this early. Andrew is only 18 months old and yet he is one tough little guy. Of my three he is actually the most tolerant of pain. A hit from a sibling is shaken off or maybe fussed over for a second, but not long. So a few weeks ago when he fell and cried for more than 15 minutes I knew that something was wrong with him.  As it turned out he cracked the growth plate in his right elbow. Nothing too major for a child so small, and not uncommon, but it has still required a splint for the past few weeks. Actually, the splint should come off today, and overall through this whole process he has been a real trooper. Once again showing me that even though he isn't the accident prone child he can take a hit and get up again to give one back.  




When Andrew and I returned from the doctors, Tyler and Elijah stole Andrew bear and went and put a wrap on his arm as well. For the next two days Andrew kept pointing to his bear's arm and saying "uh oh".




Despite his recently large wrapped arm, Andrew is still one of the happiest and cutest boys I have ever seen. Just look at that smile!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww!!! poor fella. I hope it heals soon. He is sooooo cute lori. And by the way i love your posts, i love reading them, you have a way of putting things that seem to brighten up my day.

Newton said...

Thank you Jenna. Actually Andrew got the splint off yesterday afternoon and the Xrays showed that it was completely healed. Praise the Lord!

Amanda said...

Oh that is such good news, Lori! You're right, he is a tough kid. You could barely tell that he had a broken arm (well, besides the huge cast on his arm...), in spirits I mean! I'm glad that little trial is over for you! And I really think that Andrew is THE cutest little guy I have ever seen!