12 August 2008

A Job Well Done!



Finally, one more project that has been laying around the Smith house is finished. I am not talking about Andrew, but rather about the desk that Tyler and I started building in January. Last night the last coat of polyurethane was completely set and the desk was moved into the study. I have long awaited this moment when the old dining room table would step up from being a makeshift desk and back into being a beautiful table. 




Isn't it beautiful? We figured that if I had to buy the materials to build another one it would cost me just under 100 bucks, and I could probably sell it for 300.   In case you are curious the actual desk is built of pine, but the top is birch. That is why the top is slightly lighter in color than the rest of the desk. I myself like the contrast, and the birch top is a better choice for a desktop than pine would have been. 




Now that this project is finished I am going to breath a sigh of relief and take a break from woodworking. If I can control my desire to work in the shop that is. 

*don't miss the fact that the bookshelf in the back is Alison's built by the lady herself and yours truly.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

It's gorgeous, Lori! Well done!I think the birch on top gives it a cool dimension! I think I'll be paying you to make my furniture when I get my own home!! : )

Josie said...

Lady how beautiful, lady. This lady thinks that you are truely a spectacular lady. As ladies come you are quite the lady. This lady loves you oodles. Toodles, love the lady.

*Lady now looks and sounds quite odd*

Anonymous said...

lori that looks beautiful, i think the contrasting woods look wonderful. I didn't know you could make furniture like that, i think you should open your own business.