05 May 2008

Fishing



Fishing always seemed a little boring to me when I was a child. Nobody in my family seemed the least bit interested in trying to catch a fish with a long stick and a string. For some reason I was the odd one out. I wanted to learn to fish and enjoy it. My dad took pity on me a few times and took me fishing, but I never learned anything about the type of lures and such. One time we caught a trout (from a stocked pond) and my dad taught us how to cut it up so that we could cook it and eat it.
Slowly fishing lost its appeal for me. At first, I thought that it was because I found it boring, but now I realize that it is because I was surrounded by people who thought that it was a waste of time. As a result, I was often put down for my fishing ventures, either by myself or by the person I dragged fishing.



Time passed and I met a young man who enjoyed fishing. He wasn't one of those fanatics that you meet who gets up at 5 AM to go fish for trout for breakfast. He was more of a sportsman who enjoyed the outdoors and enjoyed spending some time trying to catch a fish, and if he did catch one he threw it back. I guess you can say fishing wasn't a be all and end all of any one of his ventures. If he fished it was ussually because he was camping, or hiking by a stream or lake. It was a fun thing to do while in the midst of doing something else. I like this concept and I think that if we look at fishing this way it can be a lot of fun. So I married him and he has taken me fishing every year (except last year for some reason) that we have been married. I suppose that is only half true. He has taken me camping, hiking, canoeing and in the process we have fished. I must say I like to fish now, it is no longer boring and I don't bother going with people who find it boring. They just don't see the excitement in being quiet and noticing life happen around you. I have seen such incredible animals while trying to fish that I can't help but be excited for my next adventure.



Tyler and I have tried to instill this in our three boys. I love having boys partly because I feel more justified in spending a morning walking by Lake Auburn and getting a little fishing in. I must admit though, if we had a daughter she would come fishing with us too. Both Elijah and Josiah have acquired their very own fishing poles this year, and we have been spending time practicing our casting ability off of the deck. This past weekend was the first time that they have casted anything into the water. Other than the rain and coldness of the adventure I think that it was a success for our family's very first real fishing adventure. We didn't catch any fish, but I am kind of glad. A part of me feels that if we had caught something the boys would come to expect that, and I want them to enjoy fishing for so much more than just the catching of a fish.



Elijah's very first catch ever! In case you cannot see it: It is a small, skinny, very wet leaf. What a catch!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Who says little girls can't fish?! : ) This was so fun to read- I didn't know that you enjoyed fishing. The pics are great too (as usual)! The first one of Tyler and the boys looks like it could be in a Maine photobook or on the cover of L.L. Bean's next catalogue!

Anonymous said...

Marvelous family!

Anonymous said...

Felt like going fishing right then and there. Great story.......

Josie said...

so you married him because he liked to fish? heheh, just kidding.