04 August 2011

Housebuilding: Week 11


Roofing is a big deal when it comes to housebuilding.  Not only do you have to pick a color, but you also have to decide if you are installing asphalt shingles, metal shingles, or just plain old metal roofing.  My preference?  asphalt shingles.  I am kind of boring in that regard.  I like the traditional look of the shingle.  The color and composition of the shingle lends itself to different hues and depths and can be very soothing to see.  Metal roofing, however, is simple, plain, and often overwhelmingly one color.  


So why did we install metal roofing?  Cost.  The cost of labor associated with putting on asphalt shingles would have been high.  Not to mention the complaints my builder would have given me.  I am getting quite upset with attempting to dodge complaints.  So when it came to roofing choices the choice was made by "what is cheap, durable and won't make my builder complain like an obstinate old man?"  Obviously the choice is clear.  Or in this case red, much redder than I thought it would be.  I am optimistic that this color choice will look great with the brown cedar clapboards, much better at least than it does with that traditional Maine gray Typar.  



1 comment:

Grace to You said...

I love metal roofs! I had never seen them before we moved here, and I think they are the coolest things. Especially when a huge block of snow slides off them and sounds like an avalanche landing outside your window. haha