09 June 2011

Housebuilding: Week 3



 It seems odd that the weeks that I have setup for updates go from Thursday to Wednesday, but that makes it easiest on me.  It also leaves me wondering how to word some of my sentences.  Do I say, we started last week with the pouring of a brand new concrete floor in the crawlspace, or do I say we ended it that way.  relatively speaking, the "beginning of last week"  for a Thursday posting would be last Thursday and Friday.  So that is the format that I am going to adopt.


The boys were so excited to put their handprints in the new concrete floor. I searched everywhere for a 2011 quarter instead of having to write it, but alas, not a single bank in Monmouth or Winthrop had a single new quarter.

As I said, we began last week with a new floor in the crawlspace.  Of course, the boys had to watch them pour the entire thing.  I keep thinking these guys are going to get sick of my men watching everything they do.  Thankfully we rotate to different sub-contractors often enough; by the time they start getting annoyed they are done with their job and we are onto someone else.  With the concrete work done by Friday we were ready to start wood building on Monday morning, and that is exactly what our builder Rod did!  He started bright and early Monday morning by receiving lots of beautifully yellow 2 X 10s and plywood and studs.  There are few things as exciting as new wood waiting to be put to good use.  


Can you believe that I had 3 grown men working at once on Tuesday morning?  I kind of like being the foreman for a building project.  Troy is digging the trench for the well guy, who is laying the pipe for the well, and Rod is working on the structure. 

I find myself drawn to the progress at the land.  Tyler and I often find ourselves driving to go see the work that has been done during the day while he was at the office and I was on the phone.  Admittedly I spend my days on and off the phone trying to order materials, setup electrical pole installations, and gain those last few quotes so that I can stay one step ahead of the crew at the house.  After all, I don't want Rod coming over to build only to find that he is out of lumber.  What a disaster that would be!!


Tuesday night we brought Ayla and the boys out to see the progress.  Here are the joists almost ready for a nice new deck to be installed.

No comments: