21 February 2011

Treasure Box

We have started packing up our home to move.  Not only does it seem overwhelming at times, but downright crazy.  I keep reminding myself that the mess created by moving is only temporary.  Eli and Si have been huge helpers and I am thankful for their attempts to please in packing.  The first items that we packed were our books.  Mostly because we will not need all of our books in the interim house so most of them will remain packed for the next 6 months.  I have to admit it was hard for me to decide which books to pack for the long period and which to keep accessible.  With the turn of Spring around the corner I opted to keep almost exclusively garden and outdoor books.  



While Eli was packing his first box he pulled out this white three-ring binder from my shelf.  I assumed it was my photography portfolio and told him he would enjoy looking at it.  Well, he opened it up and wasn't excited about anything he saw.  Obviously, I had to see why so I went over and looked at the book he had found.  It turned out to be a collection of all of my grandmother's recipes.  I had no idea I even had a book of my gram's recipes.  What a treasure to find on my very own shelf.  This book naturally made it to the keep out pile so that I could peruse it at my leisure.


The three-ring binder is full of photocopies of hand written recipes of all kinds.  Most of them are labeled with the person she received the recipe from.  It is amazing to me that if we could continue to keep hand written recipe cards like this we could track genealogy for women, or at least women who like to cook. If you are in a cooking mood please feel free to come on over and we can attempt one of my gram's great recipes!

No comments: