04 February 2009

A Good Book


A good book is hard to find. I love reading. Fact, fiction, magazines, children's books, and even a dictionary can be interesting.  What great lengths people go through to produce great reading material, and yet how many children today love to read? So far my boys love reading. We are making the world of words part of everyday. Not only do we read about Tigger and Tom Sawyer, but we read about what is happening in the world, and about what has happened.  I am currently reading the book 1776, which is wonderful, and the boys love to hear the things that I share regarding the revolutionary war.  Reading is a wonderful gift, and although the boys cannot read independently yet, they are learning to read by asking questions. From publicly reading the bible in the morning to discussing what we are learning from our individual reading endeavors; the boys are taking in the information just as though they were reading the materials. 

Lately my mind has been focused on books. What kind of books do I want to read? What kind of books do I want the boys to read? Which books are worth spending money on? How do I start building the boys library into a wonderful collection of useful renditions?  I think that between us making reading an everyday occurrence and sharing the treasures that we find in words and The Word, our boys will love reading. They already do, but I want their passion for books to be with them for their entire life. So what am I doing to bring reading to the next level? Well besides teaching them to read for themselves. 



This year Elijah turns 5, and 5 is a big number. It is a whole hand.  We have decided to make the fifth birthday for each of our boys a special birthday.  Elijah will receive his very first and exclusively his own bookshelf to hold his very own collection of books and toys that are off limits to the others. This idea really is a merge of feeding Elijah's desire to read with teaching the boys to respect each other's property.  We will also be starting Elijah's book collection this year with three books by Jules Verne. I am praying that with this special gift will come a special memory for Elijah so that he will always think fondly of words, and reading, and how he started reading before, well, he could read. 

I hope that this update has come to you well, but mostly I hope that it has sparked an interest in you to read a good book and learn something new from the experience.

No comments: