30 September 2007

Tumbledown Mountain Hike (29 Sept '07)


If you ever want to go for a terrific fall hike, then Tumbledown mountain is it. The beautiful foliage, steep rocky climb and mountaintop pond make this one of the best hikes in Maine. I just love this mountain, Tyler and I have hiked this mountain a few times and every time I enjoy it, but I think that this weekend was the best. Not only did we go with a group of great friends, but we also hiked the loop trail for the first time. I don't know if you like hiking or not, but I can tell you that I hate hiking up stair mountains, you know the part of the mountain that is a bit steeper than those old basement stairs that you are afraid of. Well, the loop trail on Tumbledown skips this step. Our hike started really easy like a walk on a nice wood path and then instantly ascended to near vertical. We went from a walk in the park to having to use arms and take huge steps up rocks. Near the top we went through what we called the lemon squeeze (or fat man's misery), which was just a hole in a couple of rocks. This was a great adventure with the kids. In our group we had three children 4 and under, and a couple of kids under 10. Most of them made it up the mountain just fine, but we did have to pass the little ones up the lemon squeeze hole, of course, they enjoyed it. We were welcomed to the top by a sign that stated "Loop Trail: Not suitable for children or dogs", Oh well, too late now. The wind on top of the mountain was so cold, Josiah and Elijah were in child carriers and wearing fleece coats, but were determined to let us know that they were cold. Needless to say we didn't linger on top, but headed right down the brook trail. The brook trail is the trail that I have always taken up the mountain. It is basically the steep staircase trail, I hate the elevation, but what is horrible to ascend actually makes an easy descent. I have so many things to be thankful to God for concerning this hike, one of which is that John chose the loop trail, I absolutely loved this path. Second that my mother and father were so willing to watch Andrew for us, I would have hated hiking this with him on my front.

This Picture is of the view on top of Tumbledown take a look at the beautiful fall colors.

1 comment:

Josie said...

Awesome picture (even though it is from an old hike). I wish I could have gone with you guys. I may have lamented fat man's misery though, ha! (Love that name.) By the way nice blog, I love it. So asthetically pleasing and such.

Your friend.