26 February 2012

Conversations

Two conversation I have had recently; both on the same day.

one conversation (at Dr's for well child checks):
(I will put my thoughts in parenthesis)

Dr: You have 5 boys which means that you are busy.  I hope that you have help, you know family and friends.  The support that you need each day.  Don't suffer in silence.  Get help if you need it.
Me: I have plenty of support and we have lots of family around, and the older boys help too (Of course I am busy, but I am not incompetent.  I don't need you to remind me of one and assume that I am the other).
Dr: How old are your other boys?
Me: 6 and 7 
Dr:  So you homeschool?
Me: yes
Dr: What do you do about socialization?
Me:  (I hate this question, can he think of nothing more original to ask me about homeschooling?? Man, everyone I meet asks this question.  It seems to be the only question people ask about the matter. Why?)  Well, we are part of a great church, and the boys are active with other kids in AWANA and SMASH.  Which are two great......... etc, etc, etc.

I know, sometimes my thoughts can be cranky.  It happens when you have been sitting in a Dr's office for 1.2 hours answering the same questions about your children's ability to draw circles and recognize colors.  


Second conversation (later that evening while taking Siah on a date):

A lady in line at the book store:  So you are on a date?
Me: yes,  we try to make it a point to take each boy on a date every so often.  The boys really enjoy it and my husband and I enjoy taking turns having some one-on-one time.
Lady: So... do you homeschool your boys?
Me:  may I ask you a question? what made you think that I homeschool my children?  (Nothing that we had been talking about even hinted at that).
Lady:  I don't know, it just seemed logical that you would be a homeschooling mom.  I have often thought about homeschooling too.
Me:  Well,  yes, I do homeschool.  It fits well with our family.  (our hot cocoa's were ready so our conversation was over)
Lady:  enjoy the rest of your date.
Me:  thank you, have a good quiet evening (she was having a quiet book store time by herself)

Odd really,  both of these conversations struck me as odd.  I have answered one of the questions they sparked and not been able to answer the second.  Maybe you can help me.

1.  When someone asks me about socialization;  I am not going to answer, but rather ask them in return if they have personally seen socialization as a problem with homeschooled students. (This would work well with a Dr.  as they see lots of kids.)  I myself, have been involved with homeschoolers one way or another for almost 20 years and have never seen this apparent lack.

2.  What sort of vibe do I give off that screams "I home school my children!"?  Alas, I still haven't answered this one and would welcome  your hypotheses.

No comments: