09 March 2011

Dreaming


Oberon (the king of the fairies), and his train of fairies

Who falls asleep and wakes up in a completely different state of mind because of a so-called dream?  Apparently characters in a Shakespeare play.  This past weekend Elijah was able to be a part of the SMASH performance of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream".  I love Shakespeare, but do not consider this play one of my favorites. The performance that this group put on, however, was by far better than any other.  I expected to enjoy the play more for the fact that I appreciate the actors and their hard work.  Intermission came all together too soon,  and I realized that they were doing such a great job that I was lost in the story.  Not only was Shakespeare suddenly not hard to understand, but the body language and expressions the actors were using was making it downright enjoyable.  If you ever get the chance to see the transformation of some wonderfully old literature by SMASH; seize the opportunity and enjoy the show!


Queen Titania & her train of fairies

Not only has this performance helped me to comprehend the idea of a Greek play written by an Elizabethan playwright and performed by a group of Americans, but it has also given the families involved memories to cherish.  How I enjoyed visiting, learning from, and laughing with the variety of mothers during rehearsals.  SMASH has given those of us longing for community a furlough into the life of a play with wonderful people and a great guide.  Not to mention the incredible increase in vocabulary everyone gains.  I mean how many mothers can say their 6 yr. old son woke them up from a nap by quoting shakespeare?


The entire cast

No comments: