29 April 2010

What Do I Know of Holy?


Our Trip to the Grand Canyon was an experience on many levels. Physically, Mentally, but mostly Spiritually. It is amazing how something that God has created can impact us humans so deeply. I never thought about how touched I would be by the immense beauty of something so incredible and made by someone so Holy. I walked the rim, hiked halfway to the river, and visited the observations dwelling on the greatness of God and what he can do. Sifting through fact and assumption at the visitor centers was too great a task for someone such as I, but basking in the Holiness of God is something I could never tire of doing.



I will share more details of our trip in the next few days, but for now I wanted to share with you the big picture of the Grand Canyon. The Canyon is a work of art; you can spend hours just staring at it as the colors change throughout the day. When you walk away you are left wondering what the answer to the puzzle is. What did the artist wish to portray through this masterpiece? Sadly many of the visitors around us missed the artist and dwelt on the "accidental" work of art. Don't make that mistake. The Grand Canyon is just one more way that God shares his holiness with us.


4 comments:

Amanda said...

Amen, Lori!! We all need to remember the greatness of God and His holiness whenever we gaze on anything He's created. Thanks for sharing the gorgeous photos- I'm looking forward to you Arizona chronicles! : )

Jenna said...

Wow Lori! Thank you for reminding us of that! we all need to be reminded constantly of the Holiness of God and not be caught up in the world and their "accidental thinking"!
beautiful photos! God is wonderful to give us such beauty to look at!

Charlotte said...

I wish I wasn't constantly insulted by my religious friends. It makes me want to stop reading their blogs.

The Grand Canyon was carved by the Colorado River over the life of the land mass and that particular body of water. Believe that your god created the Earth, believe that he created the waters, but geology clearly explains how the Grand Canyon came to be.

Instead of calling it "accidental thinking", which is a masked insult to people who would dare to believe in any aspect of evolution, geology, or other scientifically proven Earth Sciences, think of it as your god cutting a slice of his Earth cake with his Colorado River knife so that you can see the layers of his marbley Grand Canyon cake.

Additionally, gravity isn't an accident, friction and force aren't accidents, they are actual forces and laws of nature that create things like the Grand Canyon. The Colorado River gave us the Grand Canyon to look at, but you can believe that your god created the Earth and the Colorado River so that one day you would have the wonderful trip that you had.

I'm sorry to see that intelligence and reason have given way completely to religious fervor and ignorance in your life Lori. Reading post after post of this kind of nonsense proves it to me. It is possible to recognize both science and your god, since science exists as a result of the creation that you believe is attributed to him. I won't be reading your blog any longer. It just makes me mourn the intelligent mind that I used to know.

Newton said...

Stuff,

You are right in one thing... since you cannot tolerate my religious beliefs , then you shouldn't read my blog.