22 March 2010

Hours of Fun on a Bike



It is amazing that year after year as the snow melts I turn my thoughts to the warm sun and the inevitable tuning of bicycles. This year, however, was a little different. Since I am greatly limited in my ability to be as free as a bird on a bike I didn't really think about the much appreciated sport. Then, my almost 6 yr old turned to me and said "mom, can I get my bike out!" What a revelation! My son is now old enough not only to ride his bike, but to acknowledge that with Spring comes the freedom to cruise on a bicycle!

As this has been an obviously early Spring and any snow forthcoming is not going to last long I granted the wonderful request. In the 63 degree weather my four sons spent a significant amount of time reacquainting themselves with those wonderful seats on wheels.


Bikes are not all play, just ask Eli, he constructed a way to grate the driveway and get some work done while playing in the sun.


The tricycle that we own has a seat on the back that is perfect for giving each other rides. As a result we have given it the name of "the taxi". It is fun to watch everyone take turns being the driver.


Andrew drove the taxi just long enough to declare it out of gas. Is there anything funnier than a 2 year old standing by a foot pedaled toy and expressing, in all upset seriousness, that it is out of gas?




2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Why are you limited in your bike enjoyment?

Newton said...

I have four boys, one of which can ride on the road, I can sit one on my bike, but that leaves 2 with no where to go. Riding my bike happens when Tyler stays home with some, or we get a trailer and all go together. It is almost too much hassle to bother with for the next few years. I really don't mind though. I would rather be with my family than have to leave them behind to get a few hours out on a bike.