08 September 2009

Angel Falls



With cooler temperatures approaching us quickly we decided that instead of complaining about a short Summer we would enjoy the perfect hiking temperatures to do, well, some hiking. What better place to go hiking with a bunch of kids and a dog than to one of Maine's beautiful waterfalls. Angel falls is one of the best places to visit if you are looking for a short relatively easy hike and a wonderful view. Elijah and Josiah did a great job on this hike, they ran ahead of us on the easy part and maneuvered the difficult river crossings and rocks rather easily. Elijah even fetched my sandals for me once when they fell into the quickly moving river.



Tyler and I have been to these falls a few times, but this was our first time with the boys. When we started our journey people kept acting surprised that we would take such small children on this hike, and even that I would carry Caleb in a backpack. Apparently, they thought that the hike was rigorous and difficult. I must say I was a little worried and kept thinking "Is this hike harder than I remember it being? It always struck me as a great family hiking place". Thankfully, my doubts did not surface enough to make me not want to hike to the falls. In fact, I carried Caleb all the way up and back and didn't feel as though I had worked my body too hard. At least I didn't notice anything until the next day, but really, it was not a hard hike.


We did meet a family with some older children there whom were very nice. They were from the area and have been bringing their three children ever since they were babies. It is nice to know that we are not the only crazy parents that take our young tykes out into the wild dangerous places in Maine.


Andrew was slower than Eli, Si, and Tyler so on the way back down he hung with Caleb and I. He did a great job; I only had to carry him a couple of times and he kept us in great spirits by singing us some wonderful songs. He is our little music man.



Angel falls is beautiful with the changing leaf colors, and since Fall is just beginning you still have plenty of time to visit. So stop reading this blog and go get out in the great Maine wilderness. But oh, don't forget to bring someone to share it with you.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Hey Lori, thanks for sharing, angel falls is a great family hike! it is really easy and very rewarding once you get to the end. I love it!