18 July 2008

Trees, Trees, and more Trees



We live in the woods. In case you have managed to miss that small fact about our Maine family. We are completely surrounded by trees, and are always mindful of a brisk wind that may knock one of them over onto our house.  This is a new fear to me, as I grew up in a field. Literally, just like the cows. Because of these trees that are everywhere around us we are continually trying to cut back some to let that wonderful creation called the Sun light our little lawn and garden.  You would never guess that we actually would want to camp in the woods, or go for a walk in the forest. I mean come on, we can do all of that at home. I consider it a blessing that in the evenings our yard sounds like some camping spots that I have been to.  




But even less likely than just spending time in amongst the trees is a visit to something like a tree sanctuary. These are places where people have actually planted tons of trees, labeled them, and expect you to consider them rare. I mean how many oaks can you see on any given day anyway? Didn't you know they were going extinct? Well, actually we have to watch our heads when the acorns start falling out of the trees, but that is a different story. So call us freaks, if you will, we actually took our children to the Augusta Arboretum to (you guessed it) enjoy the trees! 




It WAS a change in scenery; we saw some nice white birch (which are rare at our house), and I have never seen so many different types of hostas.  Whether you live in the woods, a field, or a lake (well, by one anyway), you should check out our very own tribute to the trees in Augusta. A nice place to walk, look at a ton of trees, and hear the birds.  

2 comments:

Josie said...

Lori, you are a riot. I love the top picture - you need to get it blown up and hang it on your wall - just gorgeous. And Josiah is so stinkin' photogenic (I want to spell that fotogenic). Glad to see new postings and get an update on the family outings. Maybe if you get a big enough car I can join you sometimes.

Amanda said...

I agree with Ali- the first picture is beautiful! And, it goes without saying, Josiah is soo cute!